Metropolitan Human Services District (MHSD)
The Metropolitan Human Services District (MHSD) offers outpatient services to residents of Orleans, Plaquemines and St. Bernard parishes. The organization serves residents who are uninsured or Medicaid-eligible. There are no income restrictions for developmental disabilities services. MHSD offers multiple locations in each parish. To set up an appointment or for more information call the Care Center at 504.568.3130.
Family service of greater New Orleans
For intake at any clinic, call 504.822.0800
- New Orleans office 504.827.4006
- Harahan office 504.733.4031
- Chalmette office 504.271.3781
- Gretna office 504.361.0926
Jefferson Parish Human Services Authority
The JPHSA provides fully integrated behavioral health services for children and adults, serving uninsured patients, those with Medicaid and some private plans. New patients and aftercare appointments are available as walk-in. Primary care services are available as well.
- East Jefferson– 3616 South I-10 Service Road West, Metairie, LA 70001; 504.838.5257
- West Jefferson – 5001 Westbank Expressway, Marrero, LA 70072; 504.349.8708
Central City Mental Health Center
2221 Phillip St., New Orleans, LA; 504.568.6650
LSUHSC Behavioral Sciences Center
3450 Chestnut St., 3rd Floor, New Orleans, LA; 504.412.1580
Seasons Grief and Loss Center
654 Brockenbraugh Ct. Metairie, LA 504.834.5957
Serves uninsured patients & those with Medicaid in three locations in the area. Call 504.207.2273 for additional information.
Veterans Administration Outpatient Psychiatry
Serves veterans who were honorably discharged.
2400 Canal Street
New Orleans, LA 70119
24/7 Veterans Crisis Line – 1.800.273.8255 (Press 1)
NAMI New Orleans is a grassroots mental health organization dedicated to building better lives for the millions of Americans affected by mental illness. NAMI New Orleans provides services and resources for people and families struggling with mental illness. For more information visit namineworleans.org/.
For more information on NAMI resources, take a look at:
- NAMI Resource Guide for Persons Living with Mental Illness
- NAMI Family Guide: A Roadmap to Resources and Support
Oceans Behavioral Hospital – Greater New Orleans
Oceans Behavioral Hospital offers inpatient and outpatient services, focusing on the unique physical and emotional needs of older adults and seniors. Oceans Greater New Orleans is a network of three behavioral health facilities. Oceans Behavioral Hospital Kenner and Oceans Behavioral Hospital Westbank provide inpatient care for patients 55 and older. Oceans Behavioral Hospital Marrero provides inpatient care for adults 20 – 62 years old. Outpatient care is available for patients 18 and older.
Children's Hospital Child/Adolescent Behavioral Health Center
Located at Children’s Hospital’s Calhoun Campus, this program offers acute inpatient treatment specifically designed to meet the needs of children ages 7 to 12 and a separate adolescent unit for teens ages 13 to 18 (must be in high school).
When you or someone you know undergoes a crisis, the New Orleans community offers some resources for free.
These local resources include:
- Link 211 – Call 211 or 1.800.749.2673 24/7 for information and resources on health services.
- Jefferson Mobile Crisis Team – Call 504.832.5123 for service to Jefferson Parish youth and adults.
- Metropolitan Crisis Response Team – 504.826.2675 for service to Orleans, Plaquemines, and St. Bernard Parishes adults and youth.
- When in doubt, call 911 – Tell them there is a “mental health emergency” and officers will be sent to assist you and your loved one. Ask for a Crisis Intervention Team (CIT) officer. If your loved one is in crisis in New Orleans, ask for Unit 6512, which is the NOPD Crisis Transportation Unit.
Crisis hotlines to pass along to your loved one
Oftentimes, speaking with someone about a crisis can make a major difference in how a person is able to understand and cope with their situation.
Some free hotlines people can call include:
- 24/7 VIA Link Cope Line – Call 504.269.COPE (504.269.2673) or 1.800.749.2673 to speak with a crisis counselor. Chat to a crisis counselor online 3 p.m. - 10 p.m. Monday.-Friday by going to www.vialink.org and opening the chat box.
- 24/7 National Suicide Prevention Lifeline – Call 1.800.273.8255 Deaf/hard of hearing: 1.800.799.4889 for TTY. En Español: 1.888.628.9454. Chat with a crisis counselor 1:00 p.m.-1:00 a.m. Monday.-Friday by going to Lifeline Crisis Chat online
- 24/7 Crisis Text Line – Text START to 741741
Clear Answers to Louisiana Mental Health (C.A.L.M) combines a public health, real world approach with academic expertise to help New Orleans better understand and treat psychosis. Click to learn more about the campaign.