Male Urology in New Orleans
Providing men with the urological care they need
As men grow older, one common issue becomes the swelling of the prostate gland. As the prostate is situated near the bladder, swelling can cause stricture in the urethra and make urination frequent, difficult, and even painful. There are a number of effective treatment methods that either remove the excess tissue from the prostate or remove the gland itself.
BPH & prostate swelling
The prostate gland is an important component of the male reproductive system responsible for the production of semen which helps reduce the acidity of the vagina as sperm attempt to travel into the uterus. Nearly half of all men over the age of 60 experience what is called benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) or swelling of the prostate.
Those suffering from BPH are likely to experience:
- Frequent need to urinate
- Inability to urinate
- Weak urine stream
These problems with urination are caused by pressure applied against the urethra by the prostate. As it swells, urination becomes more frequent and less effective. With the right treatment, patients may be able to return to normal urinary function.
Treatments available for urological issues
There are a number of surgeries available for men with a swollen prostate that either reduce the size of the prostate, reduce the pressure of the prostate against the urethra, or remove the gland altogether. There are also treatments for bladder and kidney issues.
Some available treatments could be:
- Prostatectomy – Removal of the prostate. While this surgery was once a major invasive surgery, there are now many cases where robot-assisted procedures can be used that are minimally invasive and more accurate
- Pyeloplasty – Surgery that reduces the size of kidney tumors
- Laser vaporization– Outpatient (same-day) procedure that helps to eliminate excess tissue in the prostate for quick relief of BPH symptoms
- Cryablation – Use of ice and low-temperature instruments to destroy prostate and kidney cancer. By using argon gas at -40°, cancer cells are killed immediately without requiring any lengthy periods of recovery
- UroLift® – Relief from BPH by fastening the prostate away from the prostate. This surgery usually takes 15 minutes or less and offers a quick recovery time