Multidisciplinary surgeons in New Orleans
The thought of undergoing surgery is nerve-wracking to many people. If your operation is at West Jefferson Medical Center, you can rest assured you will be cared for by a detail-oriented and dedicated team of professionals who care about achieving the best possible outcome. Our surgical team works with several departments to ensure every patient in need of surgical intervention receives comprehensive care.
Our surgical services include:
- Cardiovascular Surgery
- Oncological Surgery
- Orthopedic Surgery
- Urological Surgery
- Robotic Surgery
Whatever surgical operation you need, our team will guide you through every step. Do not hesitate to ask us questions or voice concerns. You have a right to know what your treatment involves and feel confident that surgery is the right decision.
Preparing for surgery
As your surgery date draws closer, there are a few things you can do to prepare. Stress and tension have an impact on your overall health, so the more relaxed and confident you feel, the easier it will be for your body to recover after the operation.
Here are a few things you can do to prepare for your operation:
- Ask questions: What kind of surgery are you having? Do you know how it is performed and what you can expect afterward? Most of the information you need will be covered by a nurse or surgeon days before the procedure, but you should absolutely speak up if there is anything you are unclear on.
- Learn about anesthesia: Not all operations require anesthesia and not all forms of anesthesia are the same. If your doctor told you anesthesia will be used do not assume this means you will be asleep during the procedure. In many cases anesthesia is only used to numb the operating area.
- Stay healthy: No one lives a perfectly healthy lifestyle 24/7, but everything you can do to help your body will be beneficial during surgery. Take the week before your surgery to eat right, get plenty of sleep, and abstain from smoking. Smoking before your surgery can make it difficult to breathe while under anesthesia.
- Bring only what you need: On the day of your surgery, do not wear any makeup or jewelry. Leave valuables at home as the hospital cannot guarantee their safety.
- Do not eat the night before your surgery: Most surgical operations require a period of fasting. You should not eat or drink anything after midnight the day before your surgery. This includes gum, hard candies, and water. Small sips of water for medications (provided the medication does not interfere with your surgery; ask your doctor) are ok.
- Have someone stay with you after the surgery: Your body will need time to recover after the operation. You should have someone drive you to and from the hospital. It would also be helpful to have them stay overnight at your home to help with eating and chores.
Specific preparations you need to make before surgery vary depending on the type of procedure. Be sure to discuss the details with your surgical care team.
Call 504.349.2408 for more information about West Jefferson Medical Center’s surgical services.