West Jefferson Rehab Occupational Therapy
Regain your independence
The Occupational Therapists (OT's) at Rehab Connection assist people daily in achieving greater independence in various facets of their lives. Through customized treatment programs, our OT’s help people relearn and master the skills needed for self-care, work, and play. Occupational Therapy focuses on upper body strengthening, fine and gross motor coordination, ADL’s, pain management, and injury prevention.
Some patients who can benefit from occupational therapy include:
- Stroke or heart attack victims
- People with head injuries
- Paraplegics and quadriplegics
- Burn injury victims
- People with cognitive disabilities
- People with arthritis
- People with multiple sclerosis
- People with shoulder/arm pain or weakness
How is occupational therapy different from physical therapy?
Physical therapy is focused on a patient’s overall mobility and quality of life. While occupational therapy is focused on the specific limitations a condition may bring, physical therapy concentrates more on the impairment itself. So, if one of your most immediate concerns for recovery was regaining the ability to type so you can return to work, occupational therapy would be likely be recommended as a complement to physical therapy.
- Focused on the condition as a whole
- Trains patients to use medical equipment like wheelchairs and crutches
- Managing symptoms of the condition
- Focused on helping patients live their day-to-day life without difficulty
- Helps patients achieve personal goals for recovery
- Helps patients deal with the mental and emotional challenges of their condition
Please call 504.349.6140 to learn more about West Jefferson Rehab Connection’s Occupational Therapy program.