A state-of-the-art stroke care unit
Our stroke team is involved in the daily care of stroke patients and is dedicated to offering the most comprehensive program of its kind in Louisiana.
When a patient comes to the Emergency Department with symptoms of a stroke, we ensure that comprehensive care is provided. A certified stroke nurse and stroke team is available around the clock, seven days a week, to evaluate a stroke patient within 10 minutes of arrival. Each patient is evaluated and treated using a uniform and extensive set of evidence-based guidelines that addresses both emergency treatments and ongoing care. Brain imaging with interpretation and laboratory testing is also available 24/7.
The inpatient stroke unit offers:
- The Stroke Unit is a specialized 23-bed Stroke/Orthopedic unit
- Specially trained stroke certified registered nurses
- Accurate diagnoses. Frequent diagnoses include acute ischemic and hemorrhagic strokes, post coil embolization, epilepsy, and a wide variety of other neurological disorders
- An interdisciplinary approach to care that consist of neurologists, neurosurgeons, neurovascular internationalists, neurosurgery residents, vascular surgeons, registered nurses, dietary, pharmacy, respiratory therapy, physical therapy, speech therapy, occupational therapy, rehabilitation services, social workers, and case management
At West Jefferson Medical Center, we believe that awareness and education are key to preventing and treating stroke. When community members know the risk factors of and warning signs of stroke, they are better prepared should they or their loved ones experience stroke.
We provide patient, family, and community education on:
- stroke risk factor modification
- primary and secondary prevention of stroke
- warning signs of stroke
- the use of 9-1-1 when symptoms develop