Level II Trauma Center in Marrero
Comprehensive injury care
Hospitals are designated as trauma centers based on their ability to provide care for injured patients. West Jefferson Medical Center is a Level II trauma center, ranking just below a Level I Center as the most comprehensive resource for injury care. Qualifications for a trauma center vary from state to state. In Louisiana, a hospital must complete a verification process performed by the American College of Surgeons, Committee on Trauma. This involves a thorough examination of the hospital’s services, technology, and patient outcomes.
As a Level II Trauma Center, we are able to provide:
- Immediate coverage from general surgeons and specialty surgeons 24 hours a day.
- Trauma prevention education for staff
- Agreements with Level I Trauma Centers to facilitate the quick transfer of a patient for tertiary needs such as cardiac surgery, hemodialysis, and microvascular surgery
- Treatment for children and adults
What is trauma care?
Though a trauma center is usually located in the emergency department, its services are more focused than standard ER care. Trauma centers treat patients with critical and life-threatening injuries. The hospital staff usually decides if a patient will be better served in the emergency room or trauma center.
Some injuries that are treated by trauma centers include:
- Gunshot wounds
- Injuries from serious car accidents
- Serious burns
- Brain injuries
- Blunt trauma
- Stab wounds
When you or your loved one has suffered from these or similar injuries, you can trust West Jefferson Medical Center will provide the high quality treatment you need.