Phase 1- Inpatient Care
The West Jefferson Phase I Cardiac Rehab department is located on the 3rd floor (3 West) at West Jefferson Medical Center. Any patient who had a Myocardial Infarction, Coronary Artery Bypass Graft Surgery (CABG), Heart Valve Surgery, an Angioplasty/Stent, Congestive Heart Failure, or other Cardiac Diseases who are medically stable and may participate in the Phase I Inpatient Cardiac Rehab program if referred by a physician.
The major objectives of Phase I include:
- An introduction to the Phase I Program
- Patient and family education designed to address specific disease process and needs
- Assessment, evaluation, and implementation of an inpatient exercise program
- Safe discharge planning and guidelines for home
Following the referral, the patient is thoroughly evaluated including:
- Patient chart review for history, labs and all pertinent information and educational needs
- Assessment of patient’s cardiac condition, health history, current diagnosis, current physical status and psychological status
- Identification of patient’s knowledge of disease process, specific risk factors, activity goals, cardiac diet, other educational and physical needs
After the evaluation, the staff educates on pertinent information. Phase I Staff assists the patient through a daily progression of exercise progressing patient to achieve established individualized goals based on patient limitations, medical condition and patient tolerance. The exercise sessions include gentle range of motion (ROM) exercises, exercise peddler and progressive ambulation.
What to expect after discharge
Upon discharge, the patient will continue with the gentle (ROM) exercises as instructed. Progression of ambulation will continue as tolerated, but under the guidelines as outlined by the Cardiac Rehab Staff and the patient’s physician. Patients will be referred at discharge or at follow-up appointments if they are a candidate for progression into the Outpatient Phase II Program. If the patient is not a candidate, the physician will discuss other options.
For more information regarding West Jefferson Cardiac Rehab Phase I, please call 504.349.2254.
Phase II - Outpatient
West Jefferson Medical Center’s Cardiac Rehab Phase II program is located on the 2nd floor of the West Jeff Fitness Center in Marrero. Phase II is a medically supervised and monitored exercise program that combines physical exercise with risk factor modification to help with recovery, increased muscle strength, increased stamina and endurance and improved your heart function.
What to Expect
- Exercise Training: is important to help the patient exercise safely while improving stamina and strengthen muscles. This is done through an individualized exercise prescription written by an Exercise Physiologist. Each patient’s exercise plan is based on their unique abilities, needs and interest.
- Education: The cardiac rehab team will help each patient learn how to make positive changes in their lives and cope with the stress of adjusting to a new lifestyle. Education will focus on risk factor modification and various other cardiac related topics.
How is this program covered?
The Cardiac Rehab program is typically covered by your insurance company with appropriate diagnosis and physician referral. If you are covered, your insurance may require a co-payment or co-insurance. Cardiac Rehab staff can assist you with questions regarding insurance coverage. If your insurance company does not cover the program, we will discuss other options available to you.
When are Phase II classes offered?
Classes are held Monday, Wednesday Friday at 7:00am, 8:00am, 9:00am, 10:00am, 2:00pm, and 5:00pm, Tuesday and Thursday at 8:00am. Each class lasts about an hour. You will be assigned a class time based on availability and your schedule. If you need to reschedule or change to a different time, discuss this with your Cardiac Rehab team. If insurance and the patient’s condition permits, you could be eligible for 36 rehab visits. Some insurance plans will authorize less than this. You can also terminate the program at any time.
For more information regarding West Jefferson Cardiac Rehab Phase II, please call us at 504.349.6180.