June is National Seafood Month, so what better way to celebrate than with a summertime twist on some fish tacos! This recipe takes pan-fried salmon and tops it will a bright and fruity salsa to create a delicious taco.
It's a heart healthy option packed with healthy fats, protein, and carbohydrates to keep you feeling great!
Pan-fried salmon ingredients:
- 4 to 5 salmon filets (1 inch thick)
- 2 T Olive oil
- 1 t chili powder
- 1 t cumin
- ½ t cinnamon
- ½ t cayenne pepper
- Dash of pepper
- Corn tortillas
Tropical avocado salsa ingredients:
- 2 medium mangoes, diced
- 1 large avocado, diced
- ½ jalapeño, cored and finely diced
- Half, onion, finely diced
- Cilantro, chopped, as taste provided
- 1 lime, juiced
- In a medium sized pan, heat oil on medium high heat.
- In a bowl, combine chili powder, cumin, cinnamon, and pepper to create a spice rub.
- Using hands, generously apply seasonings to all sides of salmon.
- Place salmon skin side up in pan and cook until golden brown on one side, about 4 minutes. Turn the fish over and cook until fish feels firm to touch and skin is crisp, about 3 more minutes.
- Transfer to a cutting board and chop into smaller pieces for tacos.
- In a medium size bowl, mix all the salsa ingredients together.
- Heat tortillas as desired.
- Build tacos and serve. Enjoy with some black beans and brown rice!
Devin Brittain is a Registered Dietitian and Licensed Dietitian Nutritionist in the state of Louisiana. Born and raised in California, Devin obtained her Bachelors of Science in Food and Nutritional Sciences with an emphasis in Dietetics and Food Administration from California State University, Fresno. She then moved to Louisiana and completed her Dietetic Internship at Tulane’s School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine. Devin is currently the Outpatient Dietitian for the Cancer Center at West Jefferson Medical Center where she assists patients and teaches healthy cooking classes. She is serving on the board for the New Orleans Dietetic Association where she strongly advocates for the dietetic profession and the health of her community. In her free time, Devin enjoys attending festivals, reading, developing recipes, dancing, and cheering on the Saints! She is passionate about utilizing her food and nutrition knowledge to benefit others and believes in finding innovative ways to encourage a healthy lifestyle that works for each individual.