Did you know August is National Peach Month and National Sandwich Month?! We’re celebrating with a very unique and creative take on a chicken salad sandwich! This recipe is pitted with flavors from sweet peaches, a tang from the vinaigrette and non-fat Greek yogurt, a nuttiness from the pecans, and ends with a hint of heat from the jalapenos. You can cook your own chicken or save in the prep work by picking up a rotisserie chicken from your local grocery store. I recommend serving this chicken salad on whole grain bread or pita bread for their heart healthy benefits.
Jalapeno peach vinaigrette
- 1/2 a medium-sized peach
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded
- 2 T apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 T olive oil
- 2 cups chicken, shredded (use pre-made rotisserie chicken, or cook your own chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup non-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 medium-large peach, pitted and diced
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 2 T diced red onion
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a blender or food processor, blend all the vinaigrette ingredients together until smooth.
2. In a large bowl, combine the chicken salad ingredients together and mix in the vinaigrette.
3. Add seasoning to taste.
4. Serve on whole wheat bread or pita with lettuce, tomato, and avocado. Enjoy!
About Devin Brittain, RD
Devin Brittain is a Registered Dietitian and Licensed Dietitian Nutritionist in the state of Louisiana. Born and raised in California, Devin obtained her Bachelors of Science in Food and Nutritional Sciences with an emphasis in Dietetics and Food Administration from California State University, Fresno. She then moved to Louisiana and completed her Dietetic Internship at Tulane’s School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine. Devin is currently the Outpatient Dietitian for the Cancer Center at West Jefferson Medical Center where she assists patients and teaches healthy cooking classes. She is serving on the board for the New Orleans Dietetic Association where she strongly advocates for the dietetic profession and the health of her community. In her free time, Devin enjoys attending festivals, reading, developing recipes, dancing, and cheering on the Saints! She is passionate about utilizing her food and nutrition knowledge to benefit others and believes in finding innovative ways to encourage a healthy lifestyle that works for each individual.