Tis’ the season of cooler temperatures and emotional ups and downs. It’s easy to feel overwhelmed and tired as you face the stress of family and chaos, holiday cooking and baking, and gift giving.
Yoga is a great way to stretch and strengthen your body, focus your mind, and relax your spirit when stressed. Some yoga styles are intense and vigorous, while others are relaxing and meditative. No matter which type of yoga you choose, it all provides health benefits that are important not just during the holidays, but year-round.
5 Reasons to practice yoga during the holidays:
- It can help improve health conditions such as poor blood circulation, high blood pressure, limited mobility, depression, lower back pain, and arthritis.
- Reenergize: It’s hard to avoid the sugary treats, heavy foods, and alcohol that tend to come with this time of year. These indulgences slow you down, and make you feel tired. Yoga stimulates your circulation leaving you feeling energized.
- Post-retail therapy: Trying to find the perfect gift for all your family and friends can be stressful, especially if you were one of the brave ones who ventured out on Black Friday! Yoga is the best recovery medicine!
- Slow down: Yoga gives you a break from all the hustle and bustle of the season. Take a deep breath, relax, and focus on the present moment with your family and friends.
- Flexibility: Your new-found flexibility will help you spend more time on the floor playing with your grandchildren and their new toys!
The West Jefferson Fitness Center is offering a holiday membership special—$99 for 99 days. Gift yourself the gift of physical fitness this season. Visit wjmc.org/fitnesscenter to learn what classes we have to offer, or call us at 504.349.6164 to learn more.
Christina is the Wellness Manger at West Jefferson Fitness Centers, where she has been employed for the last 15 years.
She has a Bachelor of Science in Kinesiology and a Masters of Education in Health. In her free time she enjoys distance running and all things health and fitness.
To find out about West Jefferson Fitness Center memberships, or to schedule a tour, call 504.349.6164.