Are cloth diapers better than disposable ones? How do I quickly bring down a fever in my child? At what age should I have a bone density scan? I’m a healthy male, so do I really need an annual physical?
Oh so many questions. That’s why West Jefferson Medical Center (WJMC) is holding its annual Family Health Expo on Saturday, May 30th from 10:00 AM – 1:00 PM to give area residents a chance to gather information on health care issues facing the entire family. There will also be a WJ Family Fitness Fun Walk that will begin at 9:30 AM.
The Expo will be held on the WJMC Campus with dozens of informational booths and representatives from the hospital’s different service lines such as Woman’s Services and the Family Birth Place, Pediatrics, Family Doctors, Neuroscience, Oncology, Stroke Center and Cardiology. Visitors will be able to walk around and speak to several health care professionals and undergo several health care screenings like blood pressure testing, glucose and cholesterol readings as well as diabetic foot care and skin cancer screening. The Expo will also offer visitors tours of specialty areas like the Hyperbaric Medicine and Wound Care Center, CyberKnife Center, Family Birth Place and West Jeff Fitness Center. More than ever, preventative health care measures and awareness are important to families.
This year, the hospital is partnering with WDSU-TV to bring a new feature to the Expo – a baby room furniture give away. WDSU-TV will have a registration form on its website where residents can sign up for a drawing that will be held on the day of Expo. The WDSUTV grand prize is baby room furniture from The Baby Shop. This contest is sponsored by WDSU and The Baby Shop.
“We are very excited about this year’s Family Health Expo,” comments Angela Greener, Chief Administrative Officer. “West Jefferson has been a part of the West Bank community for nearly 50 years and this Expo is an excellent way for us to address questions or concerns from area residents, especially when it comes to preventive health care issues,” Greener adds. “West Jefferson Medical Center opened its doors with a health fair 49 years ago. Our outreach to the community is as strong as ever.”
WHO: West Jefferson Medical Center and WDSU-TV
WHAT: West Jefferson Medical Center Family Health Expo 2009
- Saturday, May 30, 2009
- Family Fitness Fun Walk begins at 9:30 AM. One mile Fun Walk; Registration at 8:45 AM; Warm-up at 9:15 AM Expo is from 10:00 AM – 1:00 PM
WHERE: West Jefferson Medical Center 1101 Medical Center Boulevard Marrero, LA
To sign up for the baby room furniture give away, please go to www.wdsu.com.
List of Expo Highlights: Health Related Information:
- GNO Immunization Van – free immunizations for youth.
- The Family Doctors.
- Family Birth Place information and guided tours (adults only for this offering).
- Health Screenings – Blood Pressure, Fasting Blood Glucose, Fasting Cholesterol, Bone Density, Hearing, Vision, Diabetic Foot Screening, and Skin Cancer Screening (some screenings require an appointment. Please call 349-1308 for more information).
- Stroke Risk questionnaire.
- Sleep Disorders information and demonstrations.
- LA Passenger Safety Task Force Car Seat Safety check-ups.
- West Jeff Fitness Center tours and information.
- Hyperbaric Center tours and information.
- CyberKnife Center information and tours.
- LOPA - organ donation awareness.
- American Heart Association.
- American Cancer Society.
Interactive Family Features:
- WJMC EMS Ambulance tours, CPR Anytime™ and LUCAS™ demonstration; information on new wireless EKG System.
- Fire Engine and Fire Safety awareness – Marrero Harvey Volunteer Fire Company.
- Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office fingerprint kits. • Pediatrics Services - face painting and children’s activities.
- Rehab Connection and Rehab Care Unit empathy experiences.
- Photo op with “Jeff the General” and The New Orleans Zephyrs’ “Boudreaux” – bring your camera.
- Family Fitness Fun Walk - 9:30 AM. A one-mile fun walk. $10 registration fee includes t-shirt if registered by May 22. Light refreshments following Walk. Call 348-0055 for details.
- World Champion Whistler Terry Rappold.
- Paul Stahls, Jr. will be signing his coffee table book “Jefferson Parish – Rich Heritage, Promising Future.” Books will be available for purchase in Hospital Gift Shop while supplies last.
- Cornell P. Landry will be signing his book “Good Night NOLA” and doing readings for the kids. Books will be available for purchase in Hospital Gift Shop while supplies last.
- Louis J. Schmitt, illustrator of “Goodnight NOLA” will be doing illustration demonstrations for the kids. Books will be available for purchase in Hospital Gift Shop while supplies last.
- Woodmere Elementary “Red Hot Wildcats” Jump Rope Team. • Door prizes, Parade of Prizes, Community Needs Survey, Scavenger Hunt and more.
WDSU-TV Baby Room Furniture Contest – go to www.wdsu.com for details.
Visit www.wjmc.org for activity updates under Announcements on Home Page.