Top Hospitals In New Orleans
50 Year Anniversary Video
In the early 1950s, a group of citizens led by
the late Dr. Joseph Massony and Mr. George Fonseca took the first steps toward developing one of the first New Orleans hospitals to serve the
citizens on the West Bank of Jefferson Parish. Those early efforts, so full of enthusiasm for the pioneers, eventually came to fruition
through a citizens group and hospital committee with dozens of area families and individuals including Mr.
Beauregard Miller, Jr., Frank Ehret, Jr., and the late Nat Knight, Jr., George Fonseca, Eldon Majoue and
Doctors Massony and Samuel Logan.
Founded April 11, 1956, in Marrero, through the citizens of
Jefferson Parish, West Jefferson Medical Center today is a 435-bed, full service community hospital. Located in the heart of the
West Bank of the New Orleans region, this hospital service district hospital is one of the crown jewels of Jefferson Parish, Louisiana
and is dedicated to serving the people of West Bank, Gretna, Harvey, New Orleans, and the surrounding areas.
West Jefferson Medical Center
opened its doors in April 1960. Through its distinguished history, it has had an amazing $13.5 billion dollar economic impact on
the community. Not only is West Jefferson an important corporate entity and economic engine, today it is the major provider of
healthcare for West Bank Citizens out of all the New Orleans hospitals.