In the early 1950s, a group of citizens led by the late Dr. Joseph Massony and Mr.
George Fonseca took the first steps toward developing a small hospital to serve the citizens on the West Bank
of Jefferson Parish. Those early efforts, so full of enthusiasm for the pioneers, eventually came to fruition
through a citizens group and hospital committee with dozens of area families and individuals including Dr. Massony,
Dr. Samuel Logan, who continues to serve on the hospital's Medical Staff in an honorary capacity, Beauregard Miller,
Jr. who serves on the hospital's Board of Directors today, Frank Ehret, and the late Nat Knight, Jr., George Fonseca,
and Eldon Majoue. Mr. David Smith was the hospital’s first administrator.
Founded April 11, 1956, through the citizens of Jefferson Parish, West Jefferson Medical Center
today is a 451-bed, community hospital. West Jefferson Medical Center opened its doors in April 1960. Located in the
heart of the West Bank of the New Orleans region, this hospital service district hospital is one of the crown jewels
of Jefferson Parish, Louisiana.
West Jefferson Medical Center marked its 50th anniversary in 2010. The West Jefferson Hospital
Foundation hosted the community celebrations marking the occasion. The Foundation Board and countless volunteers joined
together to make the joyful commemorations for persons of all ages possible. Special thanks to all who made the events and
celebrations possible. Today, the West Jefferson Hospital Foundation board continues to support the mission of the hospital
in the spirit of community.